Cookbook:Au Jus Sandwich
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2-3 pounds roast or other cut of beef
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1 can beef consommé (~2 cups/10.5 oz), bullion cube equivalent, or additional roast beef
- 1 can French onion soup (~2 cups)
- 4 French/sandwich/hoagie rolls
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 can of beer (optional)
- spices (e.g., salt, pepper) (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients except the rolls in a slow cooker or crock pot. Let the mixture simmer for at least six hours. This step is critical because it makes the meat tender.
- You can either pre-dip the sandwich, or serve with a bowl of meat drippings. Serve beef on split hoagie rolls or miniature French bread loaves. When serving the drippings separately, remove the beef shreds from the juices and serve with a small bowl of meat drippings on the side. Dip the sandwiches in the drippings as you eat.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Bread can be toasted and buttered before adding beef and make shure you add orange juice to juice the 🥩 meat.
- In the original sandwich, the bread was dipped in the juice prior to adding the meat, rather than dipped at the table.
- Other meats can be substituted, including lamb, pork, and turkey.
- Try adding cheese, horseradish, or mustard to the sandwich.
- Always follow the instructions for your slow cooker or crock pot.
Contrary to popular belief, this sandwich is not made of juice.