- Put the rice in a strainer and rinse it until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice in a pot with the water, and boil it for 7 minutes until the rice softens and the water is almost completely absorbed.
- Add the milk, the sticks of cinnamon, and the lemon peel. Boil on a moderate heat for 10 minutes. Take the cinnamon sticks and the lemon peel out, and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes until the rice is softer, stirring often with a wood spoon.
- Add the sugar, and cook for another 30 minutes; then add the salt, and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Take the rice mixture off the heat and place it in a deep glass dish, sprinkle with cinnamon powder, and refrigerate.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk can be used instead of milk.
- Can be served with vanilla, chocolate, or Neapolitan ice cream, or with non-dairy ice creams.