|Time||prep: 15 minutes|
baking: 20 minutes
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | United States | Dessert
Apple Cobbler is a dessert made up of a baked apple filling and a simple biscuit-like topping. It is similar to apple crisp, which instead has a crunchy topping often made with oatmeal.
- 6 cups sliced, peeled, and cored baking apples
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp water (divided into 4 and 2)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- Stir together apples, ⅔ cup sugar and 4 Tbsp water in a large saucepan. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Add 2 Tbsp water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch. Cook, stirring, until thick and bubbly.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, 2 Tbsp sugar, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles large crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the egg and milk. Add to flour mixture, just to moisten.
- Transfer filling to 2-quart square baking dish.
- Using a large spoon, drop topping into small mounds on top of the filling.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes in a 400 °F (205 °C) oven.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Cobblers can be made with peaches, pears, nectarines, apricots, and various types of berries.