Cookbook:African Cabbage Stew
|African Cabbage Stew|
This is a delicious and nutritious stew. It is very easy to prepare and does not require any special skills, although preparing it can take a lot of time.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 medium-size onions, neatly chopped
- 4 medium-size garlic, minced
- 3 medium-size stalks celery, minced
- 1 medium-size cabbage, neatly cut
- 2 medium-size potatoes, neatly cut
- 3 medium-size carrots, neatly chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1–2 cups water
- Heat the avocado oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the neatly chopped onions and cook until tender for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and celery and cook until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage, potatoes, carrots, Italian seasonings, onion powder, garlic powder, bouillon cubes, smoked paprika, and water. Cover the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Check the seasonings and adjust where necessary.
- Remove and serve warm with any complimentary dish of your choice.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- For this recipe, you can purchase any type of cabbage, but the red cabbage is preferred because it adds a nice colour to the dish and pairs well with other vegetables.
- Make sure that the cabbage is fresh and free from any brown leaves or holes.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you would prefer to reheat, simply put the leftover in a saucepan over low heat and cook until warmed through. You can also reheat the leftover in the microwave.
- You can decide to add other ingredients that suites your taste to this recipe, such as cooked beans if you want some extra proteins.
- For a variety of ingredients you can use any type of vegetables while cooking such as kale leaves, mushrooms and spinach to boost the nutrients in the meal.
- If you are a spice lover you might want to include some curry powder, chilli pepper, cumin, fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme, and cayenne pepper.
- If you would like your vegetables to be more tender, you may decide to cook them for a longer period of time but don't overcook bit so that the vegetables will not lose their nutrients.
- You can boil some potatoes and mash them into the stew, which will help to thicken the stew.