Cookbook:Acorn Crusted Salmon
You can use any type of salmon for this dish. Typical seasons are June/July for Sockeye Salmon, July-November for Coho Salmon, and August/September for Chinook Salmon.
- Use a food processor, blender or other method (meat tenderizer, etc.) to pulverize the acorns into a fine meal. If desired, toast the acorn meal for 5-7 minutes at 375˚F/190˚C/gas mark 5. Transfer the acorn meal to a dish.
- Place the egg whites in a shallow dish. Coat each salmon fillet in egg white.
- Coat each fillet with the acorn meal.
Oven cooking methodEdit
- Transfer coated fillets to a slightly greased or non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes in a 425˚F/220˚C/gas mark 7 oven, or until the fish is flaky when pulled apart with a fork.
Stovetop cooking methodEdit
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in in a frying pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the coated salmon fillets.
- Pan fry the salmon for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the fillet, until fish is flaky when pulled apart with a fork.
- Serve over brown rice and/or add steamed vegetables and roasted potatoes to complete the plate.