A Field Guide to Final Fantasy's Creatures and Monsters/Monsters/A/Adamantoise
| A reader requests that more images be included in this page or book.
Images are useful for presentation and explanation. Free images can be found at Wikimedia Commons and used here at Wikibooks. If you have created relevant images, you should consider donating them.
Remove this template when suitable images have been added. Please continue to edit this book and add images, even after this message has been removed. Discuss this books particular needs on the discussion page. For questions, go to WB:PROJECTS.
|Adamantaimai (Final Fantasy VII - PC)|
The Adamantoise, sometimes simply named Land Turtle, is a gargantuan tortoise. Its shell provides it with a strong defense to its body, although magic is normally a weakness. The Adamantoise is often explicitly related to Adamantite, one of the strongest metals in several games of the series, which is used to make strong weapons such as Final Fantasy's Excalibur or Final Fantasy VIII's Lion Heart. Traditionally the Adamantoise is a mid to high level solitary monster appearing on beaches or in the final dungeon.
The Adamantoise and sometimes other variously named turtle monsters have appeared in all numbered installments of the series, except the first and the sixth, and also appear in the spin offs Mystic Quest, Tactics Advance, Chocobo's Dungeon 2 and Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales. They also appear in Itadaki Street Portable, and are featured as a Gummi Ship model in Kingdom Hearts.
The name is a portmanteau of the words "tortoise" and "adamant" ("unyielding").
Adamantoise has appeared in the following games:
- Final Fantasy II (Origins) as Spiketoise and Adamantoise (Boss)
- Final Fantasy II (Dawn of Souls) as Land Turtle, Adamantoise (Boss), and Gil Snapper
- Final Fantasy III as Land Turtle (Boss), Adamantoise
- Final Fantasy IV as Adamantium, HellTurtl, and MagmaTurtl
- Final Fantasy IV Advance as Adamantoise, Hell Turtle, Magma Tortoise, and Gilgamesh
- Final Fantasy V as Glastos, LandTurtle, Adamantaimai (Boss), and Gilgame
- Final Fantasy V Advance as Grass Tortoise, Land Turtle, Adamantoise (Boss), and Gil Turtle (Boss)
- Final Fantasy VI as Baskervor, Adamanchyt, Chitonid
- Final Fantasy VII as Adamantaimi
- Final Fantasy VIII as Adamantoise
- Final Fantasy IX as Adamantoise
- Final Fantasy X as Adamantoise
- Final Fantasy X-2 as Adamantoise
- Final Fantasy XI as Adamantoise, Aspidochelone, Tartaruga Gigante, and Genbu
- Final Fantasy XII as the Titantoise-class monsters: Great Tortoise, Silicon Tortoise, Pandaemonium, Rocktoise, Gil Snapper, Emeralditan/Urutan Eater, Thalassinon, Aspidochelon (in the demo, it was called Adamantoise however)
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance as Adamantoise
- Final Fantasy Mystic Quest as Land Turtle, Adamant Turtle
- Final Fantasy VII Official Guide, 194-211
- Final Fantasy VIII Official Guide, 197-238