Super Mario Bros./World 1
| A reader requests that more images be included in this page or book.
Images are useful for presentation and explanation. Free images can be found at Wikimedia Commons and used here at Wikibooks. If you have created relevant images, you should consider donating them.
Remove this template when suitable images have been added. Please continue to edit this book and add images, even after this message has been removed. Discuss this books particular needs on the discussion page. For questions, go to WB:PROJECTS.
|Extra life and a coin room|
|In World 1-1, you'll find that the 1-up mushroom and the pipe leading to the coin room are quite close. Go for both!|
- First, you'll meet a Goomba. Stomp him, but before you jump, be sure there are no blocks overhead.
- The last pipe leads to coin room A, and exits near the end of the level.
- Stand on the sixth block from the edge of the last pipe and jump. A hidden 1-up will appear (the only one in Vs. Super Mario Bros.).
- Two Goombas will descend from the top block. Hit the first one from under the regular block, and hit the second from under the "?" block.
- In Vs. Super Mario Bros., the first power-up here is now located on the block at the left of the top set of blocks. Also the other powerup on the top "?" block is omitted.
- For the first appearance of the Koopa Troopa, use the same tactics you used to destroy the Goombas.
- The block under the "?" block is a 10-coin block. If you are Super Mario, you could collect up to fifteen. The second block of the next block set contains a star.
- Jump safely over the gap between the staircases.
- Watch out for the two Goombas passing under the last row of bricks. Try not to jump on them if bricks are over your head.
- In Vs. Super Mario Bros., there are more pairs of Goombas throughout this level.
|Ready for the Warp Zone?|
|Here's the ultimate speedway to success. Hitch a lift to the top of the screen and walk to the right. You'll then fall into a Warp Zone! Skip ahead to World 2, 3, or 4.|
- Two Goombas will approach you. You can dodge them. But don't stick around near the "?" block, because the Goombas can return.
- The lone brick is a 10-coin block. But watch out below, there's a dangerous Goomba which you can jump on from the wall to the left. Note that because this block is considerably higher, you won't be able to collect as many coins as the previous 10-coin block in World 1-1.
- In Vs. Super Mario Bros., the Goomba is a Para-troopa so if you are not fire Mario it is very difficult to collect all the coins from the coin block without getting hit.
- When you see Koopa Troopas, a set of blocks hangs above them. The block on the far right contains a star. Also, if you're Super Mario, you can punch through the left blocks and jump to the top.
- The block next to the coin contains a power up. And the one next to that contains a 10-coin block in the 2nd lower right position.
- Hop onto the block to the left of the pit, then jump to the block with 6 coins. Get the coins, go to the far right block and stand on the edge. Jump to the right a little and hit the block one space to the right of the edge of the platform you are on, making sure you land back on the platform. Jump straight up, as high as you can, and hit the block next to the gap you opened. A 1-up mushroom will appear; let it fall to the ground. Catch it!
- If you fail or you are small, the only way to get the 1-up mushroom is to chase it until there is a break in the ceiling. And beware! If you don't watch where you're going, you might wind up as lunch for a Piranha Flower.
- The first green pipe leads to coin room B.
- In Vs. Super Mario Bros., the 1-up mushroom is only a power-up. Also, if it is a mushroom, you will need to choose between either the mushroom or the coin bonus, but you can't do both. Also the powerup (not the one replacing the 1-up) is omitted.
- Two Goombas will come down the stairs. Wait, and then stomp them at the perfect moment.
- The flat block set contains a power up in the block that's farthest to the right.
- If you jump onto the lift, and go to the ceiling, you'll be presented with the first Warp Zone of the game, which leads to Worlds 2, 3, and 4.
- In this level exists the widely-popular glitch known as Minus World. To learn more about it, and how to access it, please see the Minus World entry on the Secrets page.
- In Vs. Super Mario Bros., there are fewer bricks above the World 1-3 pipe, removing the World -1 trick. Also the row of blocks with the Power-Up towards the end is extended.
|Leap and jump--The tree top worlds|
|No other challenges during the course of Mario's noble quest require as much athletic prowess as the tree top worlds. Technique and timing are everything! Standing room is limited. The slightest wrong step will lead to a fall. The lifts are especially challenging. There are many different kinds of lifts and together, they present formidable obstacles.|
|On this level, you won't be able to spot your enemy until the last second, so be sure to use the map.|
- The Troopa in the higher island won't come down, so you can relax.
- Unlike the red shell Troopas, Goombas will come down to get you.
- In order to get the power up safely, collect the coins first, then jump down to the lower island.
- Meet Paratroopa, the flying turtle. He can fly up and down, so you have to jump over him very carefully.
- The lifts move horizontally. Wait until they are close together and jump! It takes plenty of nerve, plus good timing.
- In Vs. Super Mario Bros., the platform landing with the red koopa are omitted all together so you must increase your jump on the lift.
|There are two ways to defeat the horrible king of the Koopas with Fire Mario. The easiest way is to shoot him with fireballs. The other way is to pass him, get the axe and cut the bridge down.|
|When you're not Fire Mario, you must opt for Plan "B". There are two tactics. One you can jump over him, or two, duck underneath when he jumps. You'll probably find that jumping over him is the better strategy.|
- Beginners should jump over the rotating fire-bar underneath the "?" block. Experts can go for the power-up inside the "?". If you're just regular Mario, punch the "?", and jump to the right when the mushroom comes down. If you're Super Mario, be careful with the bar, and jump on top of the "?" block.
- The three ceiling mounted fire-bars look pretty difficult, but they're really a breeze. Watch your timing, and run when the bars are horizontal.
- At the start of this section, your best bet is to jump over the bars just as they become vertical.
- There are 6 hidden blocks, each with a coin. Punch the above the third block and collect a coin. Hop on top of this block, and do a one-foot jump to the right to get the next. Repeat this two more times and collect 6 coins.
- At the level's end, either run under Bowser or use the platform above him to jump over and hit the switch, deep-frying him! Another way to beat him is to pelt him with fireballs.
- In Vs. Super Mario Bros., the layout is 1-4 from Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels