Note taking is an important part of many academic subjects. This wikibook describes the different types of note taking that exists, and how they can be used. Just like any other wikibooks, feel free to modify or add anything you might think would benefit.
- How to Learn a Language suggests making your own flash cards. Writing it down once is good, but going back and reviewing helps you remember.
- How To Become A Good Student
- College Survival Guide/Improving Writing Skills
- Basic Writing
- Creative Writing
- Physics lab notebooks; Biotechnology#Notebooks -- note taking in a lab is slightly different than note taking during a lecture.
- Study Skills#Taking Notes; How to Pass a Course/Taking notes -- note taking during a lecture
- General Engineering Introduction/Notebooks -- In an engineering notebook, we write only in chronological order, have witness signatures, and other details that are different from other forms of writing. This helps us answer questions such as "The experiment works great this time -- what exactly did we do differently than the other times?".
- Creative Writing/Novels suggests always carrying around a notebook, so you can write down ideas for the novel wherever they may strike you -- ideas which may be heavily edited and reshuffled and edited some more.
- Creativity - An Overview/Mind mapping is a useful technique that can be used in many note taking situations
- Keeping a Journal
- Playful Organizing/Time Management Technique mentions ways a journal can improve organization and time management
- Genealogy/Recording your research
- notebooks for writing Japanese/Kanji are often ruled in large squares, rather than the parallel lines used for other languages
- Learning Strategies Database: Forms of Organization
- Notetaking Systems
- "How to Make a Complete Map of Every Thought you Think" by Lion Kimbro
- some people take notes on a Hipster PDA or smartphone. The main benefit of digital text notes is searchability.
- other people take notes in a personal wiki. (c2: PersonalWiki, Wikipedia: personal wiki)
- When gathering information for an essay or book from a bunch of books and magazine articles, many authors take notes on index cards, and then later put the index cards in order. "24 Things You Can Do With an Index Card"
- "How to Organize Notebooks" video
- "I encourage people ... in robotics ... to keep a notebook."
- "Want to find your ideas in a year? Write them down!"