Zuppa Toscana is a soup available at The Olive Garden restaurant.
- 1 lb. Spicy Italian Sausage - Crumbled
- 1/2 lb. Smoked Bacon - Chopped (One can also use precooked bacon bits for this)
- 1 qt. Water
- (2) 14.5 Oz. Cans Chicken Broth
- (2) lg. Russet Potatoes - Cubed
- 2 Garlic Cloves - Crushed
- 1 med. Onion - Chopped
- 2 cups Chopped Kale or Swiss Chard
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it. Drain and set aside.
- In skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon. Drain and set aside.
- Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion into a pot. Simmer over high heat until potatoes are tender.
- Add sausage and bacon to the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale/chard and cream to the pot. Seasons with salt and pepper; heat through.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
Potatoes can be substituted with cauliflower for a low carbohydrate version of this soup. I also used 1/2 mild 1/2 spicy turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. Sometimes, fennel is used.