Cookbook:Zereshk Palau (Iranian Rice with Barberries) II
(Redirected from Cookbook:Zereshk Polo)
|Zereshk Palau (Iranian Rice with Barberries) II|
- Rinse rice 3 times, then soak in warm water with ¼ cup salt for 5 hours. Drain.
- In a large (8 qt) pot, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add rice and cook 8 to 10 minutes until slightly soft. Drain in a colander.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add chicken, ½ cup water, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp black pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Pull meat off bones; cut into 2-inch pieces and return to leftover cooking broth. Cover to keep warm.
- Rinse barberries (if using) 3 times. Melt butter in a small pot; add barberries and sauté 1 minute. Add sugar; sauté 1 minute more.
- Dilute saffron in ½ cup hot water and stir into barberries.
- In the large pot used to cook the rice, heat 3 Tbsp oil. Add rice, using a large spoon and fluffing rice. Pour barberry mixture over the rice.
- Cover pot and cook over low heat about 30 minutes. For a crisp, golden layer on bottom of rice (called ‘ta-dig’), cook another 15 minutes.
- Using a large serving spoon, place rice in a large flat serving dish, gently mixing the barberries with the rice. Top with the chicken and serve.