Vegetarian pate is a hearty, heart-healthy recipe that can be used as a dip or spread. Sweet peas are a good source of protein and Vitamin A, while the walnuts are jammed with omega-3 essential fatty acids, which help reduce risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Sauté onion with walnuts in a pot for about 5 minutes.
- In a different bowl, combine sweet peas, salt, black pepper and cumin. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add the sweet pea mixture to the onion and walnuts, and continue sautéing for about 3 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool. Purée with a hand-held blender or in food processor until you achieve a creamy, though slightly nutty texture similar to that of pate or dip.
- Serve with crackers, bread, baby carrots and other snack type vegetables.