Cookbook:Torta de Acelga
Torta de acelga (Chard pie) is believed to be based on a spinach pie eaten in parts of Italy and is also very similar to the Greek 'spanakopita'. A very similar pie is eaten in the Ligurian Region during Easter, called Torta Pascualina. This pie is traditionally eaten on Good Friday in Gibraltar.
- Remove the stems of the acelga (these stems will become useful for another recipe called Potaje de acelga).
- Wash the leaves very well to remove any grit or soil. Boil the acelga leaves, drain really well and chop them. Fry them for a few minutes in hot olive oil then set aside.
- Roll out the pastry and lay on an oven proof pie dish leaving sufficient pastry to close the pie later.
- Beat the eggs and add all the ingredients to make a nice filling.
- Add to the acelga and mix all together.
- Fill the pie dish with this “relleno” or filling and close the pie with the pastry.
- Cook in the oven (150°C / 300°F) for about 30 mins or until the pie is nice and golden.
N.B. I always boil the acelga the night before to save time.