Cookbook:Tomato Basil Soup with Garlic Toasts
This soup is comfort food at its best. You know, get all cozy in the sofa, turn on your favorite flick, that kind of thing.
- 1 cup tomato paste
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 18 oz tomato juice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 tbsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ea. ½-inch thick slices either French or Italian crusty white bread, cut on the bias
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 large bunches fresh basil
- Combine paste, juice, cream, broth, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, and diced tomatoes in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced by ⅓.
- Using an immersion blender, purée soup until smooth. Keep warm over low heat.
- Toast bread slices in the toaster oven. The second they come out, brush slices with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic and remaining salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add basil leaves to tomato purée and let steep for 5 minutes over low heat. Remove leaves.
- Garnish individual bowls with sprigs of basil and serve warm with garlic toast.