Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Sugar pie is a traditional American pie known by several other names, including "Desperation Pie" (due to low ingredient count) and "Sugar Cream Pie". Under the last name, it is the official pie of the state of Indiana.
- 1 pie crust
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup cornstarch (flour can work if cornstarch is unavailable)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Cinnamon or nutmeg to sprinkle on top of pie (optional)
- Preheat oven to ~375°F (190–200°C)
- In large sauce pan, simmer milk without boiling. Dissolve sugar, cornstarch and butter into milk. Stir gently and allow to thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into pie crust and gently transfer into oven. Cook for about 22 minutes.
- Optionally engage broiler for a few minutes to caramelize the top of the pie.