- Season ribs with the barbecue rub. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place chunks into the firebox of a 250°F smoker or the coal area of a 250°F charcoal grill set for indirect heat.
- Place ribs into food box or on top of the grate of the charcoal grill, cover, and cook, basting with sauce often for 5–6 hours.
- Brush sauce generously on top and bottom of ribs then place on a medium high grill, continually brushing with sauce until well browned, then flip and repeat 1 more time.
- Place remaining sauce into a squirt bottle. Meanwhile, remove ribs and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with sauce in a squirt bottle.