- Add one pinch of salt and one pinch of mustard powder to the flour.
- Mix together the suet and flour with enough water to make a doughy consistency.
- Cut the pastry into two portions one slightly larger than the other.
- Roll out the larger portion and use it to line a small buttered pie dish.
- Finely dice the onion.
- Mix together the sausagemeat, diced onion, a pinch of thyme, and plenty of black pepper.
- Mash the mixture into the pie dish making sure there are no voids.
- Wet the edge of the pastry where it covers the lip of the pie dish.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the pie.
- Lightly crimp the edge with your thumb and trim.
- Cut a hole in the top centre of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C until golden brown on top (30–40 min).
- Serve with a little gravy poured over the top.