Cookbook:Rosti (Swiss Potato Patties)
|Rosti (Swiss Potato Patties)|
Rösti is a potato dish from Switzerland. It was originally a common breakfast eaten by farmers in the canton of Bern, but today is eaten all over Switzerland. Many Swiss people consider rösti a national dish. Today it is more commonly served to accompany other dishes, rather than for breakfast.
- Grate the potato into a dish, and squeeze out the excess moisture, discarding the liquid.
- Split the mixture into two even piles.
- Pour the oil into a frying pan and heat moderately.
- Place the two piles separately onto the pan, pushing down on top of them with a spatula in order to ensure that the piles stay intact.
- Fry until the underside is golden brown, then carefully flip and cook the other side.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Notes, tips, and variations Edit
- There are many variations of rösti.
- Various rösti use eggs, bacon, onion, or cheese. These can be mixed in with the potato before you start to fry the rösti.
- Generally, any dry ingredients you use should be grated or diced before being added to the mix.
- The outside of the rosti should be crisp. To achieve this the potato should be as dry as possible before it is fried.