Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl and allow to become bubbly.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour in yeast mixture with salt and 1 tablespoon of the rosemary. Remove to breadboard and knead for 10 minutes. Add the rest of the flour as necessary until dough ball is smooth and elastic.
- Oil a bowl with olive oil and place dough in it covering with a towel.
- Let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled.
- Punch down dough and divide in half. Let dough rest for 5–10 minutes.
- Melt butter and brush over tops of loaves. Sprinkle remaining rosemary over loaves and gently press into surface. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Spray baking pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray. Shape the dough into 2 small oval loaves.
- Place in preheated 400°F oven for approximately 13–15 minutes until golden brown.
- Loaves can be frozen after cooking to be later thawed and reheated. In this case remove from freezer 1 hour before cooking, and place in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes.