- Crush saffron in mortar with pestle to a powder. Place saffron in glass measuring cup.
- Bring broth to a boil in small saucepan over medium heat; reduce heat to low.
- Stir ½ cup broth into saffron to dissolve; set aside. Keep remaining broth hot.
- Heat 6 tablespoons butter in large, heavy skillet or 2½-quarts saucepan over medium heat until melted and bubbly.
- Cook and stir onion 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Stir in rice; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine, salt and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes until wine has evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Measure ½ cup hot broth; stir into rice mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, maintaining a simmer throughout adding broth.
- Cook and stir until broth has absorbed. Repeat, adding ½ cup broth 3 more times, cooking and stirring until broth has absorbed.
- Add saffron-flavored broth to rice and cook until absorbed.
- Continue to add remaining broth, ½ cup at a time, cooking and stirring until rice is tender but firm and mixture has slight creamy consistency. (Not all broth may be necessary. Total cooking time of rice will be about 20 minutes.)
- Remove risotto from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter and cheese.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- May substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
- Often served with Osso Buco