Rich brownies are cake-like but are denser and not springy or gooey.
- 4 ounces (110 g) unsweetened baking chocolate
- ⅔ cup (160 g / 1.6 dl) solid fat (e.g. margarine, butter, shortening, or lard)
- 2 cups (450 g / 2.7 dl) baking sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cup (300 g / 3 dl) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g / 2.4 dl) coarsely chopped nuts (½ inch / 1 cm walnuts work well)
- Heat oven to 175 °C (350 °F).
- Melt chocolate and margarine in a double boiler, or (carefully) in a saucepan on low heat, stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Excluding the nuts, mix the dry ingredients with each other, and then into the wet mixture.
- Mix in the nuts.
- Spread into a 30x20 cm (13x9 in) baking pan, or into two 20x20 cm (8x8 in) baking pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until brownies pull away from the sides of the pan.