Cookbook:Rice Water Porridge
|Rice Water Porridge|
A typical Ghanaian morning dish is rice water porridge, made with evaporated or powdered milk. It is comparable to rice pudding but lighter because the cooking process uses water.
- Wash the rice, then put it in a saucepan with a few cups of water. Bring to a boil.
- Boil the rice for about 20 minutes, or until it has absorbed the water and become soft. If necessary, add the salt and an additional cup of water.
- Beat the rice against the saucepan with a spoon to create a smooth, pudding-like consistency.
- Add the nutmeg, and then let it boil for about 5 minutes. Add the sugar or honey.
- Serve with your preferred milk, and garnish with a tiny touch of nutmeg.
Notes, tips, and variations Edit
- Soak the unprepared rice in water overnight for a very smooth rice water porridge.