- One pound dry split peas, in water to cover, plus a can of chicken broth, brought to the boil momentarily and left covered, to soak.
- Meanwhile, assemble the same amounts of grated carrot, chopped onion, one white turnip, three stalks of celery, chopped.
- Add the spices.
- Simmer slowly about an hour, or until veggies are well softened. Correct salt to taste.
- Make a liaison of cornstarch, separately mixed in water first to a thin cream. Bring back to the simmer briefly.
- Blend. Thin with stock (or milk) to the right consistency. It should be thick.
Optional garnish: a floating dab of sour cream with a light sprinkling of nutmeg.