- Cook onion in butter until tender.
- Bring the diced potatoes, carrots, water and chicken bouillon in another stock pot to a boil. Simmer about 10 minutes or until tender. Add ground black pepper.
- Add the flour to the cooked onions to make a paste. Stir in the milk. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until warmed through. Add the potato and carrot mixture. Stir in the parsley and thyme and heat through. Serve hot.
Notes, tips, and variations
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken bouillon for a vegetarian soup.
- Add leeks if available.
- Omit all ingredients except potatoes, water, salt and pepper for a simple and surprisingly pleasing potato soup. High quality, flavorful potatoes are required for this variation, which itself presents an ideal base for an inventive cook to expand upon.