- Cook onion in butter until tender
- Bring the diced potatoes, carrots, water and chicken bouillon in another stock pot to a boil. Simmer about 10 minutes or until tender. Add ground black pepper.
- Add the flour to the cooked onions to make a paste. Stir in the milk. Cook over low heat stirring constantly until warmed through. Add the potato and carrot mixture. Stir in the parsley and thyme and heat through. Serve hot.
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken bouillon for a vegetarian soup.
- Add leeks if available.
- Omit all ingredients except potatoes, water, salt and pepper for a simple and surprisingly pleasing potato soup. High quality, flavorful potatoes are required for this variation, which itself presents an ideal base for an inventive cook to expand upon.