For 4 servings:
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Matzo meal, corn meal, or flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Applesauce and/or sour cream
- Peel potatoes and onion and grate.
- Mix potato and onion with egg, meal, and salt.
- Heat oil in a 10 inch pan over medium heat until it is quite hot. Drop 1-2 tablespoons of the potato mixture onto the pan per pancake. Turn once to allow both sides to fry.
- Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream as a topping.