Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Cuisine of the United Kingdom
The ploughman's lunch is traditional British pub fare, a hearty cold meal featuring bread, cheese and pickle. Its history is not actually that old, and doesn't really date back to actual ploughmen—see Wikipedia on Ploughman's lunch.
- 1 big chunk of good English cheese (e.g. Cheshire, Stilton, Lancashire), or a selection of two or three types of cheese if available
- 1 big doorstop of granary bread
- Pickle (e.g. Branston pickle, or a good chunky local pickle)
- Lettuce leaves
- ½ apple (optional)
- Pickled onions (optional)
- Cocktail pork pie (optional)
- Sausage rolls (optional)
- Arrange all ingredients on a plate.