Cookbook:Peppercorn Strip Steaks with Cognac Cream Sauce
|Peppercorn Strip Steaks with Cognac Cream Sauce|
A homemade steak sauce finishes this meal all off. The sauce sure is better than that A1 stuff.
- Sprinkle garlic with salt. Rub with the side of the knife repeatedly until garlic forms a thick paste.
- Rub steaks with oil. Season on both sides with salt, then press peppercorns into both sides of meat. Let sit until room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Heat a stainless steel skillet large enough to hold the steaks over high heat. Pour some oil into the pan, then add steaks. Cook 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove and keep warm.
- Pour out excess fat but do not scrape pan. Deglaze pan with cognac, then turn off heat and ignite with a firestick. Shake pan until flames die.
- Bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, then whisk in cream and garlic.
- Whisk in butter. Once butter has melted completely, spoon over steaks. Serve immediately.
- When you make this dish and ignite it, you are essentially playing with fire, something that your mom didn't recommend. Always remember to keep a fire extinguisher around, and if you have a gas stove, turn off the heat.