Cookbook:Turkey with Plantain Stuffing (Pavo Relleno de Mofongo)(Redirected from Cookbook:Pavo Relleno de Mofongo)
|Turkey with Plantain Stuffing (Pavo Relleno de Mofongo)|
|Category||Puerto Rican recipes|
By: Brenda Ortiz Valle
This recipe is my mom's, Aida E Valle, special Turkey recipe. The best I have tasted in my life!!
- For Turkey Seasoning
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of adobo
- 2 tbsp of oregano
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp of ground pepper
- 2 packages of ground "cubitos" (Cubitos en polvo - chicken bouillon cubes)
- 2 packages of uncolored sazon (sazon sin achiote - uncolored seasoned salt. Goya is a typical brand.)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- For Turkey Filling
- To season turkey
- In a small bowl mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, adobo, oregano, salt, ground pepper, "cubitos", "sazon" and garlic.
- With a sharp knife make incisions in different places of the Turkey.
- Use seasoning mixture to season whole turkey, inside and out. If you need more seasoning mix, repeat first step.
- Cover turkey with aluminum foil and refrigerate until it absorbs the seasoning, at least 2 to 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven at 350°F (175°C).
- To prepare filling
- Peel plantains. Slice plantains into 1-inch chunks.
- Add 2 cups of canola oil to a medium size frying pan. Set stove to medium high and place frying pan for about 5 minutes.
- Add plantains and fry until they are golden brown. Drain them on paper towels or brown paper bags.
- Squash plantains one by one using a mortar and place into a medium size bowl.
- Add, tomato, red and green pepper, garlic, olive oil and adobo to the bowl containing the squashed plantains and mix.
- To prepare Turkey
- Fill turkey with plantain filling. Cover, the turkey filling opening with kitchen thread.
- Cover turkey with aluminum foil and place turkey in preheated oven.
- Leave turkey within the first two hours w/o removing aluminum foil. After two hours, remove aluminum foil and turn in ½ hour intervals for two hours. Use the turkey drippings to moist turkey while cooking.
- Set oven to broil for 20 minutes each side.
- Alton Brown shows how to truss a turkey here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/how-to-truss-a-turkey/27751.html