Cookbook:Spinach Pie (Pascualina)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Pascualina)
Pascualina is a spinach pie which is often eaten in Uruguay. It is made with spinach or silver beet, sauteed onions and a homemade pastry. You can cheat and make it with a store bought puff pastry.
- 3 onions chopped finely
- 1 kg frozen spinach (defrosted)
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg freshly grated
- 250gms cream cheese or ricotta
- 6 eggs
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Egg wash
- Pre-heat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Saute onions until golden.
- Add spinach, cream cheese, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir through until all ingredients are mixed together. Put aside to cool slightly.
- Line a rectangular tray with puff pastry ensuring the pastry reaches right up to the edge of the tray.
- Spread out the filling over the puff pastry, and with a spoon make 6 holes in the filling so you can pour in the whole eggs. #Crack eggs one by one and pour into the holes.
- Cover the pie with more pastry sealing the edges.
- Brush pastry all over with egg wash and bake in a hot oven for 40 minutes until pastry is golden.
- Serve with roasted sweet potato and steamed green beans.