Cookbook:North Carolina Style BBQ Chicken
|North Carolina Style BBQ Chicken
In eastern North Carolina, they use thin, vinegar-based barbecue sauces called mops, which differ from the thick, rich, tomato-based sauces most Americans are familiar with.
- Season chicken liberally with the barbecue rub. Gently massage into meat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, honey, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place enough charcoal briquets to fill the charcoal compartment of a large chimney starter. Wad up some oil-moistened newspaper, stick under the compartment, and light. Wait 15 minutes.
- Once coals are heated, disperse evenly along the bottom of the grill. Toss in soaked hickory chunks and reapply the grate.
- Grill chicken over medium low, turning often and brushing with vinegar mixture when turned, until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove and let rest for 7 minutes.
- While chicken is resting, boil remaining vinegar mixture on high for 5 minutes. Drizzle over chicken and serve warm.