Cookbook:No-Knead Oatmeal Bread
|No-Knead Oatmeal Bread|
|Time||Prep 15 minutes|
Rise 2 hours
Bake ¾-1 hour
- butter two 8-inch Dutch ovens
- Combine boiling water, oats, shortening, and molasses.
- Add salt, cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast and mix well.
- Blend in eggs.
- Gradually add flour, mixing until dough is well blended.
- Place dough in greased Dutch oven; let rise until double (about two hours).
- Place in a well-greased round pan.
- Let rise until doubled.
- Bake in conventional oven for one hour. (350°F)
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- Rising bread requires warmth. Cool or dry weather inhibits the process. When outside temperatures are too cool for breads to rise, place 3-4 hot coals on top of the oven with bread inside. If it's windy, provide a windbreak.
- Start baking breads slightly before reaching the "double" stage. As the oven heats, the dough continues to rise. Have the bottom heat ready to go when the bread is. Add top heat immediately. When bread is ⅔ baked, take off bottom heat.