Pito is a local drink common in Nigeria. In Lagos specifically, pito is majorly hawked in the street in an earthen pot or drum to keep it chilled.
- Grind guinea corn into a powder.
- Transfer ground guinea corn into a wide bowl, add enough water to fully cover. Stir well with a spatula.
- Let the mixture rest until it settles into two phases. Drain the water away.
- Pour the guinea corn slurry into a pot and bring to a boil.
- After boiling, cool the mash and leave it to ferment for 1 day.
- Boil mixture again for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Set a sieve over a bowl, and pour the guinea corn mixture into it. Discard the solids.
- Stir in sugar if desired, and allow pito to cool.
- Serve cold over ice.