Cookbook:Nigerian Fish Pie
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
Nigerian fish pie is a sweet pie filled with fish. It is a popular dish in Nigeria.
- Plain flour
- Vegetable oil
- Sift the flour into a mixing basin, then stir in the sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the yeast thoroughly. Mix in the egg until it is completely incorporated into the flour.
- Mix in the cold water in small increments until a thick dough ball is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a tabletop, and knead it with your palm until it is very smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in the bowl, cover, and set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Place the sardines on a platter and mash them with a fork before setting them aside. This may be somewhat challenging.
- Knead the dough a second time. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 5 mm.
- Cut the dough into rectangles.
- Scoop some mashed sardines center of each rectangle. Fold the dough in half, enclosing the filling.
- Use a fork to press the edges together and seal the pastries.
- Fill a pot with vegetable oil to a depth of 3 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Fry the pastries in the oil until browned on all sides. It will take approximately 12 minutes.
- Remove the fish pies, and drain any excess oil.