- 4 or more Mackerel
- 2 chopped fresh bay leaves
- 6 cloves
- blade of mace
- sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 chopped onion
- 10 peppercorns
- malt vinegar
(increase all as needed for amount of fish)
- Clean & scale fish, place in dish large enough for fish & vinegar.
- Mix other ingredients, except vinegar, with salt to taste, & cast over fish.
- Pour over sufficient vinegar to cover well.
- Place in moderate oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Lift fish carefully onto serving dish, strain liquor over.
- Let cool & serve.
- from Boscastle W.I. in Cornish Recipes, Ancient & Modern, 22nd Edition, The Cornwall Federation of Women's Institutes 1965.
- First collected & published by Edith Martin, Tregavethan, Truro, 1929, for The Cornwall F.of W. I.