Cookbook:Marinated Green Olives
Green olives marinated in herbs and garlic are very common in Spanish restaurants. They are commonly served free when you order a drink, and are often served with toasted, salted nuts.
Preparation time is about 10 minutes, and takes 3-7 days to marinate.
For 1 pound (450 g):
- 2 cups (16 oz/450 g) unpitted large green Spanish olives
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ medium lemon, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon Spanish paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Lightly crush the olives with a mallet, or make slight slits on each olive with a knife, to ensure that the marinade permeates them.
- Place the olives in a sealable glass jar and add the remaining ingredients.
- Fill the jar with water and shake well.
- Marinate at room temperature for several days to a week.
- Serve the olives with toasted almonds and fresh bread.