Cookbook:Marinated Green Olives
Green olives marinated in herbs and garlic are very common in Spanish restaurants. They are commonly served free when you order a drink, and are often served with toasted, salted nuts.
This recipe makes 1 pound (450 G). Preparation time is about 10 minutes, and takes 3-7 days to marinate.
- 2 cups (16oz/450g) unpitted large green Spanish olives
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 medium lemon, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Lightly crush the olives with a mallet, or make slight slits on each olive with a knife, to ensure that the marinade permeates them.
- Place the olives in a sealable glass jar and add the remaining ingredients.
- Fill the jar with water and shake well.
- Marinate at room temperature for several days to a week.
Serve the olives with toasted almonds and fresh bread.