Madeleines small French cakes baked in special baking trays that give them a shell-like shape. The Spanish counterparts, Madalenas, are sometimes served in paper cases and then resemble muffins.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl until frothy.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and lemon zest, and fold into the egg mixture. Fold in the melted butter.
- Divide the dough into greased madeleine molds, keeping in mind that the dough will rise in the oven to fill the molds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C / 350°F for 12–15 minutes until the cakes are springy but not browned.
- Cool and unmold the madeleines.
- Serve fresh.