Cookbook:Lemon Meringue Pie (Vegan)
1 vegan pie crust
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon agar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoons turmeric
- 9 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 9 teaspoons potato starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons guar gum
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Add all the filling ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to boil and whisk for a few minutes. When you can’t stir anymore it’s ready.
- Keep the filling warm and covered while preparing the meringue.
- First, add the starches, baking powder, guar gum, lemon juice, and about half the water, mix it by hand until stiff peaks start to form. Then add the rest of the water and the sugar slowly and mix. It should be thick enough that it will have stiff peaks that don’t fall. If it is not thick enough, add a little more tapioca starch and mix.
- To form peaks in meringue, using a rubber spatula, touch flat side of spatula on meringue and pull away. Repeat over entire surface of meringue.
- As soon as the meringue is done, pour the filling into the pie crust and while the filling is hot spread meringue over filling, carefully sealing to edge of crust. Bake in a 350 °F (180 °C). oven for 10-15 minutes. Cool on rack for 1 hour.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- The pie filling is quite hot when pouring it into pie shell.