Cookbook:Kosan Rogo (Nigerian Cassava Cakes)
|Kosan Rogo (Nigerian Cassava Cakes)
Kusan rogo are cassava cakes enjoyed by the people of northern Nigeria, especially in Kaduna state. They are crunchy and yummy and very easy to prepare.
- Peel the cassava, cut into small chunks, and rinse well.
- Pound the cassava with a mortar and pestle, then transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in the pepper and onions.
- Squeeze out all excess water from the mixture. A cheesecloth can be helpful here.
- Transfer the mixture to a dry bowl, and mix in the salt and seasoning cube.
- Shape the mixture into small balls, and flatten them with your palm.
- Heat enough vegetable oil for deep frying in a deep pan. Aim for about 350°F (180°C).
- Place the flattened pieces in the pan one at a time and deep fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil, and place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot.