Horchata is a Mexican almond rice-water beverage.
- Thoroughly pulverize the rice in a blender.
- Transfer to a medium size bowl and add the almonds, cinnamon stick, and lime peel.
- Stir in 12 cups of hot water.
- Cover and let stand at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Place the mixture in the blender and blend for 3–4 minutes, until it no longer feels gritty.
- Add 10 cups cold water and blend until combined.
- Strain a little at a time using a chinois or strainer lined with cheesecloth.
- Add 10 cups of cold water and stir in enough sugar to sweeten the drink to taste.
- If the consistency is too thick, add additional water.
- Cover and refrigerate. Stir before pouring.