Gochujang (고추장) is a Korean fermented chili paste composed primarily of glutinous rice, soy, and chili powder (gochugaru). The heat levels and color vary according to the recipe. Gochujang can be made at home, although this is a lengthy process, and many cooks will purchase gochujang ready-made.
Gochujang is widely used in Korean cooking. It is a key component of tteokbokki, and a sauce made from gochujang is commonly used to season bibimbap before serving.
This recipe is a non-traditional chili paste meant to replace gochujang when none is available.
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt (½ teaspoon table salt)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon sesame salt
- Mix ingredients together thoroughly.
- Refrigerate any leftover portions.