Cookbook:Gbegiri (Yoruba Bean Soup)
(Redirected from Cookbook:Gbegiri)
|Gbegiri (Yoruba Bean Soup)|
Gbegiri is a bean soup common among the Yoruba people of Nigeria. Either white or brown beans can be used.
- Soak the beans in water for about 15 minutes to loosen the skin.
- Remove the skins from the soaked beans, and wash continuously.
- Put the skinned and washed beans into a pot along with the chopped onion. Cover with water, and simmer for 2 hours until the beans are softened and mashed.
- Pass beans through a sieve to strain out any bean that is not completely mashed. Set aside.
- Blend the peppers and onions together.
- Heat palm oil in a pot. Add blended pepper mixture to the hot oil.
- Stir in salt, fermented locust beans, and seasonings. Let cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Gently pour out any excess watery portion on top of the sieved mashed beans. Add the mashed beans into the pepper mixture.
- Cook for about 15 minutes. Serve.