Cookbook:Fish Stock (Fumet de poisson)
Fumet de poisson is a fish stock.
- Wash the fish trimmings. Drain and mash with the back of a large spoon.
- Place the fish in a stockpot and add the water.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes, skimming off any scum.
- Add the vegetables and seasonings.
- Partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming the surface every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and remove the fish and vegetables with a spider or slotted spoon.
- Strain through a sieve lined with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth.
- Cool to room temperature and freeze or it may be refrigerated for 2 or 3 days.
- The heads, tails and bones of any firm white fish such as flounder, whiting or halibut.