Cookbook:Eggplant and Chickpea Skillet
Eggplant and Chickpea Skillet is a colorful and tasty dish suitable for vegans. It is important to use fresh basil in this recipe.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small eggplant (aubergine) or 2 Italian eggplants, quartered and sliced
- 6-8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 15-oz (400g) can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz (400g) can chickpeas, drained
- ½ tsp. tarragon
- 2-3 cups (200-250 g) broccoli, cut into small florets
- 8-12 fresh basil leaves (preferably Thai basil)
- Sauté the green bell pepper and garlic in the oil over medium heat for several minutes. Add mushrooms and eggplant and continue cooking, stirring often, for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, chickpeas and tarragon. Stir well, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes until eggplant has softened somewhat.
- Stir in the basil leaves and broccoli and simmer, partially covered, for 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is bright green. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve over rice or couscous.
Per serving: 248 calories; 13g protein; 7g fat; 34g carbohydrate; 0mg cholesterol