Cookbook:Dodo Ikire (Fried Leftover Plantain)
|Dodo Ikire (Fried Leftover Plantain)
Dodo ikire is a Nigerian dish of fried overripe plantain. According to legend, it was developed in the town of Ikire by a woman as an alternative to discarding overripe plantains.
- Mash the plantain and transfer it into a bowl.
- Stir in salt and crushed pepper until well-combined.
- Heat oil in a frying pan for a few minutes, but don't allow to smoke. Allow it heat for a few minutes (3–4 minutes is enough).
- Scoop the plantain mixture into the hot oil. Cook until darkened but not burnt.
- Remove the dodo ikire from the oil, and drain any excess.
- Re-mould the dodo ikire into balls. Sprinkle with some pepper.
Notes, tips, and variations edit
- Do not overcook the dodo ikire, as it will burn and taste bitter.