Cookbook:Cullen Skink (Haddock and Potato Soup)
A soup from Cullen in Morayshire using smoked haddock for a rich flavour.
- 1 large smoked haddock, preferably Finny Haddock, of around 2 lb (If Smoked Haddock is unavailable, Smoked Kippers have been known to serve in its place.)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1½ pints milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz mashed potato
- 1 bay leaf
- Parsley, chopped
- (Optionally) Toast as accompaniment when serving
- Cover the haddock with water in a shallow pan with skin side down.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes turning once.
- Take the fish from the pan and remove the skin and bones.
- Flake the fish and return to the stock.
- Add chopped onion, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Strain off the stock and keep it ready - discard the bay leaf and keep the fish warm.
- Add the milk to the fish stock and bring to the boil.
- Add mashed potato to make a rich and thick soup.
- Add the fish and check the seasoning - add more if needed.
- When serving, add the butter in small pieces so it runs through the soup.
- Serve with chopped parsley on top, and toast by the side.