Cookbook:Cucumber, Tomato, and Onion Salad
This is a very flexible recipe. Except for the cucumbers and some form of diluted vinegar, you can adjust the recipe to your heart's content, for example adding dill.
The addition of mayonnaise, a great deal of oil, or dairy products makes this into some other recipe.
Although the name says 'salad', in more modern terms it could be called a fresh pickle. It can serve as a counter-point to fried or oily foods.
- Peel the cucumbers, either completely or leaving some green, in a pattern you prefer.
- Slice cucumbers about 1/4" (1/2 cm) thick.
- Add vinegar and water, adjusting the proportions to your taste. The end result is that the other ingredients will be floating in clear liquid.
- Ideally served cool to cold, while the ingredients are still crisp.
- Should be served using slotted spoon, to allow draining. If helpful, small side-dish bowls can be used.