Crotopo Soup aka Croute au Pot (Fr.)
- Pound the veal in a mortar.
- Add ham with some fat in it, the egg yolk, salt, pepper, and very little nutmeg, and pound some more.
- Pass through a sieve.
- Cut some small French rolls into slices and spread them with the above mixture.
- Place them in the oven and cook until colored.
- Cut the rolls in halves or quarters, and place them in a tureen.
- Just before serving, pour a very good clear soup over them.
This page incorporates text from the public domain cookbook The Cook's Decameron: A Study In Taste, Containing Over Two Hundred Recipes For Italian Dishes by Emily Waters.