Cookbook:Classic Pot Roast
|Classic Pot Roast|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes
This pot roast recipe is even better than your mom made.
- 1 ea. (2 ½ pounds / 1.1 kg) bottom round roast
- ½ cup beef broth
- 6–8 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup tomato juice
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into ¾-inch (2 cm) pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓–½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- Season roast liberally with kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
- In a 6-quart (6-liter) Dutch oven, heat ¼ cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Add roast and cook until browned on all sides.
- Remove roast to a plate and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil and vegetables. Cook until onions are lightly browned around edges.
- Remove vegetables and keep warm.
- Deglaze pan with broth and add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low, then add vegetables and beef.
- Cover and place into a 225°F (110°C) oven and cook 6 hours.
- Serve warm.