- Preheat a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat and preheat the grill to high.
- Add the onions to the pan, and sauté until light yellow.
- Add the shallots and garlic to the pan and sauté for a few minutes more. Make sure all ingredients are lightly crisped.
- Pour in about ⅓ of the wine and ⅓ of the vinegar. Let this simmer and reduce over lower heat for about 5–10 minutes.
- Place the steaks on the barbecue, seasoning with the Montreal steak spice.
- Add the rest of the wine and vinegar and season by sprinkling some fresh black pepper on top. Boil off until you no longer smell the alcohol coming from the steaming wine.
- Flip the steaks. You want them to be soft on the inside (cooked rare) yet quite charred on the outside, to get that charcoal flavor.
- Once the sauce has gone down to about ⅓ of its original volume, take off heat.
- Remove steaks from grill and take inside.
- Place the steaks on your plates, cover with the sauce and serve!
Notes, tips, and variations