Cookbook:Carrots Cooked Kinpira Style(Redirected from Cookbook:Carrots cooked kinpira style)
Kinpira is a Japanese cooking term that roughly translates to sauté and simmer. The aim is to cook root vegetables such as carrots and burdock root in a minimum amount of water so that they end up tenderly cooked and with none of their flavour or nutritional value lost into discarded cooking water.
- Cut the carrots into thin matchstick pieces (sen-giri, or julienned)
- Pour a small amount of oil into a saucepan and sauté the carrot pieces briefly
- Add only enough water to half-cover the carrot pieces
- Place the lid on the pot and let the carrots simmer briefly on medium-low heat
- Add a little tamari or shoyu to enhance flavour