This is a traditional Jewish dish.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Grease a 1-litre casserole dish.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy and pale in color.
- Very finely grate the carrot and apple, then squeeze out and discard all the liquid.
- Mix the grated carrot, apple, orange rind, orange and lemon juice, and flour.
- Combine the egg and carrot mixtures.
- Whip the egg whites until they are very stiff, and fold into carrot mixture.
- Spoon mixture into the greased casserole dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.